Tuesday 28 November 2017

Long God Yumi Stanap (In God We Stand)

Hello! I'm back in Australia now, so as promised, here's some stories from Vanuatu - starting from day one, as I wrote it at the time...



DAY 1 - Friday 17th November 2017
"Ah, the things we've seen, and it's only eight in the morning!" - quote from a Disney movie I rather like...
I set myself two alarms for 4.30am this morning. I got up, had breakfast, got ready... then I checked my emails.
'Flight delayed!'
The flight to Sydney was delayed. I was supposed to be in Sydney at around 8.30am to check in for the flight to Vanuatu. My flight to Sydney would be leaving at 9.10am, instead of 6.30 am.
Hmmm!
We all ran around like headless chickens for a while, making phonecalls to the airline and the people organising the trip, trying to see if I would miss the flight to Vanuatu because of the delay. Eventually we (hopefully) sorted something out, so I had a nap after reading some of Mark's gospel. After all, what would my first overseas trip alone be without a little excitement?
An adventure in trusting God, just as it has been from the beginning!



Eventually, we made it! We got to our own town's airport in plenty of time. The flight left at 9.15am, and the dad of one of my friends just happened to be on the flight as well. I sat next to a guy who looked like a backpacker, but he quickly put on his headphones. I was amazed once again to see my town from the air - I even saw our house. There was a logging farm somewhere far below, and the logs looked like piles of matchsticks from the air. Crop circles, trees and dams dotted the plains before they disappeared behind impressive clouds. Then, finally, we reached Sydney.
I quickly got off the plane and ran across the tarmac, then met one of the ladies organising the trip inside. We sprinted to the baggage carousel, and waited impatiently for my bag to arrive. The second I saw it I grabbed it, and we started running again. We found the train platform (the ticket was already bought) and jumped through the open doors of the train just before they closed. After a short train journey, we ran through the international terminal until we reached check-in, puffing and panting. The officials had to turn the desk back on again, because we were late; but they had been told to wait for me, so that was all good; we had made it just in time, with minutes to spare. When I got to passport control later, I had to leave the lady looking after me because she wasn't actually going on the trip, and I was on my own. The express gate wasn't working, so I had to go with the ordinary line (I had been given an express pass on account of my flight delay). At customs however I was able to go through the express line, and managed to get through with only the loss of a tube of toothpaste. After being randomly checked (maybe I looked pretty sus, being so tired and puffing :P) I met with Samara, another organiser/leader on the trip, and from there it was a bit more relaxed. When we got to the gate, the same two officials from check-in were there, and congratulated me on making it on time! I talked to some of the fellow trip-goers for a while - they had all been there for hours I think - and then it was time to board the plane.
All day long, I had an old Colin Buchanan (a famous Australian country music/Christian kids singer songwriter) song stuck in my head:
"My God is so BIG! So strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do. That's true!"
God is so faithful. Today I have had a peace, knowing that God willing, I would get there. And I got there.
God is good! I have had a good lesson in trusting God today. And now, I look forward to Vanuatu...


We flew over new Caledonia, then finally landed in Port Vila. The airport was surrounded by green fields with cows and palm trees. The combination of humidity and smoke made me feel like I was back in South India. After we got through customs, we were welcomed in the corridor by a band playing joyful Island music. They smiled at us, and I took a photo (what a tourist, haha). We loaded our luggage into the truck, and found our 'bus', the ubiquitous vans that are everywhere, in every shade of the rainbow. I leaned out the window as we drove through Vila and couldn't wipe the smile off my face. God is faithful!
We eventually reached the campsite and had some afternoon tea. Then we sat out on the grass and the campsite's pet dog, Nino (named after the cyclone), took an immediate liking to me - laying his head in my lap just like our dog back home. Ed, one of the leaders, talked to us about the itinerary and prayed for us all. Then we set up our beds, and I played the ukulele for a while.
Vanuatu is a beautiful country; it is a privilege to be here.
We had a barbecue for dinner and played some get-to-know-you games; then we had cold showers (surprisingly lovely) and went to bed under our mosquito nets. Our first day in Vanuatu.
It feels like a holiday with family; it's like we have all known each other forever. Vanuatu is beautiful, with character. There are signs of rebuilding here and there after Cyclone Pam in 2015, but people are resilient, welcoming everyone with a smile. As we drove through Vila we saw everyday life; I watched a guy grab his friend's hat and run off, and they both chuckled. Kids played games in the dusty fields and walked around on their own as they pleased; the island is their family. All are welcome.




DAY 2 - Saturday 18th November 2017
"Long God Yumi Stanap." - the motto of Vanuatu, 'In God we Stand'
I was woken up at 2.30am by a rooster next door persistently crowing, and the geckos chirping in our room. Then, at 4.30am the church next door (who were having some sort of several-week-long revival crusade) began singing very loud, out of tune (but joyful) songs... it was already light outside, I guess. But it was difficult for us to appreciate their praise and worship, because I at least had only managed to get to sleep at past 11pm and someone else in the cabin was snoring. So when the tinny old piano started, my first reaction was closer to 'please Lord, not now...'
Although ashamed of my cynicism, I also remembered an old proverb (Proverbs 27 verse 14 to be exact). But you can look that up if you really want to!
I prayed that I would have the grace to bear it joyfully, and keep going even if I was tired.
'Lord, help me not to complain but to be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, constant in prayer. Even in exhaustion, I will praise you...'
Since the roosters and geckos continued, and the music intermittently so, I eventually got up around 5am (it was light outside anyway) and had a cold shower in the dark (the lovely seabreeze made it seem quite cold too). I had a vague urge to find the rooster and strangle it, as it is one of those roosters that sound like they are dying horribly whenever they open their mouth. But surely it is one of God's good creations...
I had a bit of a nap for a while, then played the ukulele. Then it was time for some much-needed time with God.
Feeling a little more refreshed and cheerful, it was time to meet up with everyone else out on the grass. We sang songs and had a bible study, and then had breakfast. After that, it was off to town.
In town, we went to the ATM first (I had changed my money already at the airport, and realised then how much I was ripped off :P) then went to some tourist shops. We went down to the markets, where some of the girls got their hair braided into cornrows. I bought a few things, mostly presents for my family. I talked lots to the ladies at the stalls and sometimes a kid would call out 'halo!'.
We met up at the Jungle Cafe and had some icecream together, then went for a walk along the waterfront. Eventually we sat down in a shady pergola area in the park and played cards. When it was time to meet back up, we found the leaders at the back of the markets, and had a traditional markets' lunch - beef stew and rice and cassava.


Then it was off to the Blue Lagoon; we reached there and put our swimmers on. There were a few rope swings, but I didn't go on any. After getting used to the water and paddling around for a while, I got out and watched people on the swing. Then I noticed a bunch of kids standing up in the overhanging trees, and followed them out, climbing through the slippery branches. I jumped into the water from a low tree branch, which was great fun, and then did it again. I asked one little boy his name, which was Junior. He lived in Vila but had come here with his family for a fun day out. I jumped in a few more times, having fun climbing the trees. In another tree one of the branches broke and I think a boy fell into the water (he was fine).
Eventually we got out and ate cassava chips and had a reflection time. Our group, consisting of four girls and Samara, each shared our testimonies of how we had become Christians and talked for a while. Eventually, it was time to head off back to the campsite.


On the way back I got to sit in the front, so I had a nice chat with the driver, Marcel. He had always been a bus driver, he said, and was 19 when Vanuatu gained independence. We talked about a lot of things; Cyclone Pam, the economy (supported mostly by tourism and plantations/agriculture) and a few other things. He explained the role of chiefs in different areas of Vanuatu in the modern day (in the Northern islands I think the role of Chief is earned by the number of pigs killed; in the Southern islands it is hereditary). He pointed out the house of the chief (the chief of the area we were staying, at least), who was an old man now. The chief's responsibilities included making sure young people didn't pick up bad habits, and being someone that people could bring their problems and disputes to. Marcel also told me the story of the ancient chief buried on Eratap Island. When he died, his 100 wives were made drunk on Kava and buried alive with him! Marcel laughed when I looked a little worried, and assured me it wasn't like that anymore!
On our way through the embassies in Vila he also pointed out the main Nakamal (meeting place), where chiefs from all over Vanuatu would meet to discuss matters.
Eventually we got back to camp, after passing a giant upside-down tree ripped out of the ground by Cyclone Pam. The road was very potholey, and Marcel explained that the government was meaning to fix the roads soon, and a lot of the roads on the island were like this.
When we got back, we managed to (sort of) crack open a coconut with a rock and a sharp thing (although we would later learn the proper way to do it!), after our dinner of the classic Australian spag bol, or spaghetti bolognese. (Okay so technically it's Italian. But it's a pretty classic meal in Australia, and the cooks at the camp were also Australian :P)
At dinner I had a nice conversation with one of the cooks, Kristyne, who had served with YWAM for 8 years including on Mercy Ships. After dinner, we played the card game Mafia (an old favourite of kids everywhere in Australia, especially on bus trips or excursions). Then it was time for bed, the end of our first full day in paradise, a.k.a Vanuatu! The revival music next door was still going strong...


No comments:

Post a Comment