Tuesday 7 November 2017

Bread and Fishes? (Like in that story, eh?)

In order to explain the story behind the name of the blog... You are likely familiar with the story about Jesus feeding the five thousand with five loaves and two small fishes. (Fishes, or fish? I'm going to keep writing fishes, just to be consistent)
During my adventures as a high school student, this story came to have a particular significance in the period leading up to some pretty significant exams. It just so happened that the Sunday before the exams started, this story was one of the readings at church. The sermon took an angle on the story I hadn't quite considered before. To sum up the sermon in a sentence (or at least what I took away from it):
"Bring to God your 'bread and fishes', and He will do with it what He will."
In other words, God has given you gifts and abilities. When it comes to things like exams, you can only do what God has given you the ability to do. You can only offer what you have. So you do your best, and trust God to use what you have done to accomplish his purposes. As my brother and teachers pointed out, a few marks aren't going to stop you from being exactly where God has planned for you to be. So if I fail, I know it is God closing a door, and leading me in his perfect plan down a road I would not have chosen on my own. And if I pass, well then, praise the Lord! And I pray that whatever happens, I keep my eyes fixed on the one who can multiply what we have to offer to provide exactly the amount that is needed, and then some. My God is the God who provides, and I have seen it in beautiful ways! God is always enough... so bring to Him your bread and fishes, and let Him multiply them however He wills.


1 comment:

  1. Some really good points! It is really good to remember to give all you have to God- after all, he is in total control!

    ReplyDelete